Tuesday, September 18, 2012


Hi Class! I cannot attend class today so here are some of my thoughts from today’s readings:
  1. I did some research on empowering tween magazines, but American Girl, Girl's Life, and Discovery Girls were the three "best" options. I said "best" in quotations because all these magazines are very mainstream and focus primarily on appearance. I could not find a 2012 version of Sassy anywhere. 
  2. As well, Reviving Ophelia was very thought-provoking. One question I had was why Lori may be able to survive adolescence without any major emotional scars, while other girls completely lose themselves during these teen years? Is it really a matter of privilege and financial resources?
  3. A point of confusion for me in Disturbing the Universe is how does postmodernism (the theory that denies any universal claims about human beings) connect to the idea of Young Adult literature in Trites’ piece?

Have a nice class!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Katie!
    I hope we can remember to assign a course scribe to post our discussion notes to the blog.

    Also, our discussion today should clarify the ways several important postructuralist thinkers (Foucault, Althusser, Lacan, Butler) describe the workings of power in order to better understand Trites' claim that thinking about the various workings of power is fundamental to understanding Young Adult literature (as well as young adults).

    ReplyDelete