Saturday, September 1, 2012

Girlhood Search & Similar Searches

Before I hit enter, I looked at the similar searches that appeared in the drop bar. This is what came up:

girlhood
girlhood Journey
girlhood studies
girlhood home companion
girlhood home magazine
girlhood journey books
girlhood journey dolls
girlhood documentary summary
girlhood of shakespeare's heroines
girlhood definition

You would think the definition of girlhood would be somewhere towards the top. Or, I would. What these similar searches show is the majority of what people search for, and find when researching this topic. It also shows how much control search engine programmers have over our access to information. The first five answers that come up on google are a documentary synopsis on Girlhood, the documentary purchase on amazon, free dictionary's definition of girlhood, Girlhood Studies by Berghahn books and another Girlhood documentary review by Rotten Tomatoes. I have never seen this Girlhood documentary, but from what I gather in the information is that it casts a light on girls in juvenile prison. From the information I gather, I feel as thought the director is trying to show the girlhood that American society used to know as girlhood is not so in the twenty-first century. The status of girls in our society has changed.

Aside from the documentary there is an online journal dedicated to the discussion of girlhood. This makes me well, happy, knowing that there are people active about the topic. It gives me some type of hope for this world.

No comments:

Post a Comment