Saturday, September 1, 2012

Girls Vs. Women

The first link that came up when I googled girls was the new HBO series entitled "Girls".  Something that's interesting about this series is that the characters that are in this series are females in the 20's.  I'm not sure about you, but I believe females in their 20's are considered women rather then girls.  This link alone has got me thinking what makes the difference between a girl and a woman?  As I stroll farther down links that include a boys music band called Girls comes up.  Then there's the Maxim page, that features "hot girls" (the ultimate guys guide) when clicking on this link female's are dressed in bikinis, and posing seductively.  Interesting how they say "the ultimate GUYS guide" as opposed to "the ultimate BOYS guide".
Females are continuously being seen as a sex object, through the internet, media, and other ways.  Since I have seen what google has brought up the term girls to be, it made me want to google boys. The very first link for boys is the wiki definition of boys. Interesting how the term "boys" is explained, and clarified.  Two links down is boys and puberty, WOW no surprise there.  Food for thought: how can we get passed social media, previous portrayal of females, and other pre and current influences on what girls are, so that they can be empowered?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment