Friday, September 28, 2012

"Creep Shots"

Well, this is disturbing.

I came across this Jezebel article about a high school teacher who was fired for posting candid photos of his underage students online. According to the article, he had been posting the photos on a new subsection of the popular site Reddit, known as /r/creepshots.

Jezebel, of course, is infuriated, and curiosity got the best of me and I decided to check it out for myself. I am just beyond words. Countless photos of women, going about regular chores, on the beach, at the gym, etc. Each photo is taken without the subject's knowledge and posted without permission. The "community" even encourages its 12,000+ members:
"Use stealth, cunning and deviousness to capture the beauty of your unsuspecting, chosen target."
And in response to the recent attention and outrage the community has garnered:
"When you are in public, you do not have a reasonable expectation of privacy. We are no different than paparazzi. Except we celebrate beauty without being paid for it."
Actually, I do have a reasonable expectation of privacy. I have a reasonable expectation that photos of me--my face, my boobs, and my ass--will not be "deviously" captured and posted for the perverts of the internet to enjoy.

This all just leads me back to the quote we wrote on the board on the second or third day of class: Our bodies are not public spaces.

No comments:

Post a Comment