Thursday, October 18, 2012

Latina Princess? Legit?

http://nbclatino.com/2012/10/18/disney-set-to-unveil-first-latina-princess-sofia/



In one of our previous classes we talked about several Disney princesses and how they are being portrayed among little girls (younger audience) but let's be real and honest, it obviously affects us too because why would I be blogging about it if it didn't. Anyways, I recently spoke about this new "Latina" princess to my step-mom and the first things that I said to describe her was "Light skinned, brown hair, blue eyed girl with no accent" and granted I said all of this in Spanish in a pretty anger tone. Why am I angry though? What if Disney made her brown skinned, black hair, brown eyed with an accent? Oh, wait... that's me. Would I honestly have this reaction? I have cousins who have blonde hair and green eyes and they are Latina. This Disney Princess is practically white; her name is Sofia and at times, I feel as if it okay to make things look credible but not offensive. I don't expect Disney to make a princess look Chola or "Beaner-Like" as people depict Latinos but I would not like to call this Disney Princess the first Latina princess when she's not but Disney says, "but she is." And you know, everything Disney says is right... (Sarcastic moment). I am very skeptical in seeing this movie because I will have more of a debate after I see where this is placed and the story line. Ultimately, where do we draw the line, in terms of labeling and stereotypes? How far can a person be stereotypical in order to make things credible? From what I've seen in the commercials, I see that her mother marries a King (who's white) and Sofia is getting carried away from a little village to a castle. They can make Sofia look "Not-Latina" but what is really going to start off controversy is the story of whether her mother was a maid and she married someone rich. Since they claim that she's Latina even though she doesn't really look like the typical Latina, we'll see if the story-line is based on stereotypes. Let's be real here. We'd worry more about the princess effect on little girls than the shades of its characters. But, yeah, it's Disney: What did I expect, Dora the Explorer? 





No comments:

Post a Comment